[kata-dev] [AC Elections 11/2022] Q&A period

Fabiano Fidêncio fabiano at fidencio.org
Mon Nov 14 09:56:29 UTC 2022

Samuel, et al.

On Mon, Nov 14, 2022 at 10:36 AM Samuel Ortiz via kata-dev <
kata-dev at lists.katacontainers.io> wrote:

> Dear Kata Citizens,
>
> The candidacy period has closed and we have 6 candidates for 3 seats:
>
> - Archana Shinde
> - Eric Ernst
> - Fabiano Fidêncio
> - Feng Wang
> - Fupan Li
> - Gerry Liu
>
> See the elections repo [1] for more details on each candidate's background
> and manifest.
>
> The actual voting period will start on November 22nd and before that we
> are going through a Q&A period.
> Each and everyone is free to ask questions to our candidates, on this
> mailing list.
>
> Fabiano already sent a question [2], and I'll ask another one:
>
> The Confidential Containers initiative has grown into its own, CNCF
> sandbox project and this is a remarkable example of how Kata Containers can
> be used to enable complex use cases.
> What do you think are the next cloud-native use cases that we could enable
> and support with Kata Containers?

One of the things that some companies are already working on, but we still
don't have a reasonable amount of documentation / examples upstream is
Function-as-a-Service with Kata Containers.
We can do a lot in this space with VM Caching and really lightweight VMMs
(be it Cloud Hypervisor, Firecracker, or Dragonball), and I sincerely think
we should be exploring and advertising Kata Containers as a reasonable
solution in this area.

WASM workloads support is another hot topic at the moment, and thanks to
the work being done by teawater (see:
https://github.com/kata-containers/kata-containers/pull/4032), that's
something we should merge and advertise well, as Kata Containers will be a
reasonable / suitable option for such workloads.

Those are the one coming from the top of my head and that I think will
generate an immediate impact on the project and on the users, if well
advertised.

> Cheers,
> Samuel.
>
> [1]