[kata-dev] [AC Elections 11/2022] Q&A period

Gmail liuj97 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 06:55:02 UTC 2022

Hi Samuel,
	I read your question as “how to increase the adoption and user base”:) This is a very good question and we are working on this topic too. According to my experiences, there’s no easy answer for this question, but there are things we can do to speed up the adoption from technical, ecosystem and distribution point of view.

 	From technical side, we may make Kata even better. Kata Containers has a slogan “The speed of containers, the security of VMs”.
	For the first part, “the speed of containers”, it actually should be “the speed of Linux native containers”, or even better than runC. As Fabiano has mentioned, to support FaaS workload, Kata Containers' startup time is the key. Kata is already fast, but not fast enough. Innovations are needed to  make Kata ready for FaaS, to improve startup time and resource overhead.
	For the second part, "the security of VMs”, I hope it could be “the isolation capability of VMs”.  Kata enhances not only security, but also performance/fault/configuration isolation. Some usage scenarios, which have no strong requirements for security, do have requirements about performance/fault/configuration isolation. It would be great to enhance performance/fault isolation capabilities for Kata.

	For ecosystem, I wish we can improve the way to integrate Kata with other Cloud Native components. Users face many challenges when integrating Kata with other Cloud Native components, about CSI/CNI/observibility/debugability etc. Our SREs still need many special tools to manage Kata based solutions.

	For distribution, it would be great to let more OSVs to provide open box solutions based on Kata Containers. Ideally user may choose different runtimes, such as runC, Kata, Kata-CC, by simply changing their pod specs.

	To summarize, I hope:
1) Kata can support FaaS, BigData/AI and database workloads.
2) there are more voices about ecosystem, integration and usage scenarios in AC meetings.

Thanks,
Gerry