[kata-dev] 答复: [AC] Arch Committee Election: Q&A period open!

zhangwei (CR) zhangwei555 at huawei.com
Wed Aug 29 03:41:10 UTC 2018

Hi all,

Thanks @Anne for kicking this off!

> What is the most important thing (be it an integration, a particular feature, adopting a policy, etc) Kata Containers needs to achieve in the next year and how should we get there?

The most important thing in next year in my mind  is: ** "Making kata-containers production ready" **.

Kata-Containers is becoming more and more stable in this year thanks to all contributors from our community, now we have stable branches and maintenance policy which is a good start, and this is absolutely a great achievement.
But I think we still have lots of works to do for making kata-containers a *product* instead of a cool *project*.
To achive this goal, something we need to do including(but not all):

1. Add more features and missing APIs for better integration with K8S around container ecosystem. For example, we have some PRs for GPU/NIC pass-through, which can give us a more powerful "--device" interface(device field in OCI spec), and help kata-containers better integrate with K8S.
2. Make a solid baseline of kata-containers which is stable enough and involves enough features[1], always provide stable branches and LTS support to make sure kata-containers and kata-community is trustworthy, never break backward compatibility(unless it's inevitable) and make sure kata-containers can be upgraded smoothly("live-update" in a word)[2].

I believe we can achieve this in short term with help of our great community and so many talented contributors, besides community works, what I can do is keep testing the process in our product and keep contributing codes/feedbacks back to our community to make kata better and better!

Thanks!

[2]: https://github.com/kata-containers/runtime/issues/492