[kata-dev] Elections | Q&A | What are the current pain points with the AC and how to solve them?

Feng Wang feng.wang at databricks.com
Tue Nov 15 05:56:43 UTC 2022

Hi Fabiano,

A lot of what Eric and Archana say resonate with me. Here are some
additional observations regarding the AC and the community in general.
Disclaimer: I have not been in a lot of open source projects, so it can be
because my expectations are just too high :)

1. Some of the key areas of the project are under-invested, such as
security, performance, stability and production readiness. First of all,
from what I have seen, our handling of security tickets lacks a bit of
seriousness and sense of urgency. Even though there is a documented
Vulnerability
Handling
<https://github.com/kata-containers/community#vulnerability-handling>
process, I'm not sure if it has been followed. This is kinda ironic
considering a lot of the users come to Kata for stronger security. Second,
there is no documented performance benchmarking procedure and data. There
are many ways to achieve better performance on Kata Containers but they're
not publicised. Last but not least, there is still a lot of room to improve
the stability and production readiness. We don't have test coverage for a
lot of critical path code. One example for lack of production readiness,
there still isn't a way to only get the agent error log out of the guest
VM. These three aspects are fundamental for attracting more production use
cases. I'm hoping the AC can steer more attention of the community toward
these three aspects. One suggestion is that we can form special task
forces/virtual teams to own these areas so that there is a bit more focus.

2. The community has been quieter than before. The Kata Community is active
in terms of new PRs submitted but not so much in discussions no matter
online or offline. Not trying to single out anyone, but some of the AC
members have been pretty "quiet" too. I think we need more leaders (a.k.a.
AC members) to step up and participate in the community more.

3. The Kata Containers project is getting bigger/more complicated with new
features such as CoCo and rust-shim. It's becoming harder to keep up with
all the PRs. It's not clear how the different decisions are made and what
the potential impacts are. It's also not clear who is the
stakeholder/decision maker. For example, right now I'm scared to update our
downstream to 3.0 because I don't know what the unknowns are and who I can
go to if something is wrong. I wonder if we can have a designated owner/POC
for each component. The owner can be one person or a team. This assigned
"ownership" can also make PRs/issue triage more streamlined.

Thanks,
Feng