[kata-dev] Elections | Q&A | What are the current pain points with the AC and how to solve them?

Shinde, Archana M archana.m.shinde at intel.com
Mon Nov 14 22:50:06 UTC 2022

Hi Fabiano,

Eric has made some great points on how we can improve our community. I agree with him on those and also don’t see a lot of challenges with the architecture committee itself, but our overall community participation can be improved a good deal.
There are quite a few participants and development efforts going on today in the Kata community along with greater end-user adoption. While this is obviously very positive for the project, it also makes it highly difficult to track high-priority issues and features that need attention in terms of agreed direction. While it has been pretty useful to have an issue for every PR raised, it also sometimes makes it difficult to find issues that are raised by our end users (Maybe we can solve this simply by making good use of github labels in the future). While I can urge everyone in the community to be proactive about this including myself, I have been trying to see if we can take any concrete steps to address this. I feel dedicating 10-15 min every AC meeting to triage over high priority issues opened over the last week could be a useful step.
I also feel the PR review rota process needs to revisited to make sure people listed on the rota process will dedicate the necessary time to review not only PRs but also issues opened that week. We used to be quite diligent about this earlier, but not as much recently. We also need to make sure that not it is just not handful of partcipants taking part in this. Same goes for the release process, as Eric as pointed out. While it is not just a couple of companies involved in the release process any longer, I do feel there is ample scope for improvement here.
Another area we can improve is in getting consolidated feedback from customers using Kata in production. I think we do need to revisit this from time to time to get valuable feedback from customers in what pain points they see with Kata. I don’t fully have a picture on how best this can be done, but perhaps making sure we have a session in our bi-yearly PTG to invite some of our end-users beforehand would be a good step. This is something we can ask OIF to help with.
For the Kata AC itself, I  believe we can do better in terms of having some more cross-project presentations on our AC call, for eg having virtiofs folks come in and talk about some of the recent work they have been doing in their project.

These are some of the things that I can think of currently to improve the community health. I’ll send a follow up email if I think of anything else.

Thanks,
Archana Shinde