[kata-dev] Elections | Q&A | What are the current pain points with the AC and how to solve them?

fupan li lifupan at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 11:02:30 UTC 2022

Hi Fabiano

Regarding some of the pain points of AC and new usecase, I have the following immature thoughts:

1. As a developer and community maintainer of the kata container, since 2018, one of the biggest impressions to me is that the kata community lacks planning and information synchronization for some major features and major version upgrades. For example, at the end of the year, should we review some of the past, what major features we have implemented, discuss and make decisions about which features kata needs to focus on next year, which areas to invest in, and reach a consensus in the community, Let both community participants and users have a psychological expectation.

2. The second is that we now use kata as a k8s cloud-native runtime to make kata more cloud-native, thereby affecting more investment in the k8s community. For example, we have always wanted to make shimv2 support sandbox semantics, and let cni and csi add support for kata pass-through network and volume pass-through.

3. Expand the influence of kata AC meeting. Now the participants of AC meeting are basically fixed to those few people. Can we let some main developers share the architecture and design principles of some key features on a regular basis? This can attract some new developers and make the community more active.

4. For adding some new usecases, I wonder if we can add some usecases related to function computing, such as introducing some end-to-end optimization solutions to meet the fast startup and high-density deployment of function computing.