[kata-dev] Proposed GitHub projects

Fabiano FidĂȘncio fidencio at redhat.com
Tue May 11 17:05:18 UTC 2021

On Tue, May 11, 2021 at 7:01 PM Christophe de Dinechin
<dinechin at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 2021-05-11 at 18:49 CEST, Fabiano FidĂȘncio wrote...
> > Christophe,
> >
> > On Tue, May 11, 2021 at 6:37 PM Christophe de Dinechin
> > <dinechin at redhat.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi,
> >>

> >> Following the discussions in the architecture committee meeting:
> >>
> >> - I removed the 1.11 project
> >
> > Thanks!
> >

> >> - I added a release 2.2 project, but did not populate it yet.
> >>   Feel free to add features which you think belong to 2.2
> >>   https://github.com/orgs/kata-containers/projects/26
> >
> > This is a good start.  Now, I think we (as a community) should agree
> > on what we think we can target for 2.2.0.
> > One question about this one ... do you prefer having it as 2.2 so we
> > can re-use it for 2.2.0, 2.2.1, 2.2.2, ...?  Or would you prefer going
> > for one board for each release (including patch releases)?
> >

> >> - I also added a Confidential Containers project.
> >>   We discussed with Samuel about keeping track of what remains
> >>   to be done, and I think this is one case where a "project" helps.
> >>   https://github.com/orgs/kata-containers/projects/27
> >
> > This is super useful and I'd strongly recommend we do the same for
> > every other "community use-cases" project.
> >
> >> - Finally, a tentatively named "What's going on" project, which
> >>   at least in my view, would be the "hot stuff of the week", or a kind
> >>   of "help wanted" board. This is the one where there is a lot of
> >>   debate regarding whether it's useful or not, and how it should be
> >>   organized.
> >>   https://github.com/orgs/kata-containers/projects/25
> >>
> >> Let me know what you think.
> >
> > Cool!
> >
> > Thanks for taking the bullet and playing with the cards!
> >
> > Now, what do you see as the next steps from this?
> > Shall we get together and, as part of the next backlog scrub meeting,
> > do a formal planning for 2.2.0?  Or even a more generic question, how
> > do you want to proceed in order to populate the first and the third
> > board?
>
> Here is how I see it, but that is just a personal view, not even a
> recommendation:
>
> - I would like to keep the "what is going on" as simple as possible.
>   So what I would recommend is that we use it to put stuff we think is
>   important. For example, if there is a CI failure, you can put the issue
>   under "Urgent". If you have a review blocking a release, same thing.
>   Conversely, if you want to help, you go there and you have a picture of
>   how you can help. But I would try to keep that below ~10-20 cards.
>   Then the herders / backlog scrubbers could populate this if it's a bit
>   empty (which I am sure will happen all the time).

+1, especially if we can keep it small and readable.

> - For the 2.2 release, I think a possible approach would be to look at the
>   issues we opened which we believe have good chances to happen soon. I plan
>   to do that tomorrow for my own. Then we can spend a little time during the
>   arch meeting debating the priorities, and possibly remove stuff that does
>   not fit.

Ack,  How do you think patch releases should be tracked?
Related to this, I've dropped an email[0] about a proposed release
cadence and a way to simplify what we maintain (at least till 3.x
becomes a thing).  I sincerely hope that can actually help us as well.

[0]: http://lists.katacontainers.io/pipermail/kata-dev/2021-May/001894.html

Best Regards,
--
Fabiano FidĂȘncio