[kata-dev] Proposed release cadence

Fabiano FidĂȘncio fidencio at redhat.com
Tue May 11 17:01:52 UTC 2021

Community,

During Today's architecture committee meeting we discussed whether we
should do feature or time based releases, and we kinda agreed that
time based releases may be the way to go.

We're releasing 2.1.0 this Friday, May 15th 2021, and I'd like to ask
about the cadence we want to follow ... and whether we could stop
maintaining the stable-2.0 branch at the moment we release 2.1.0.

Can we consider doing a minor release every 8 weeks?
If so, we could have:
* 2.2.0-alpha0 -> Jun 11th
* 2.2.0-rc0 -> Jun 25th
* 2.2.0 -> Jul 9th
  * Stop maintaining stable-2.1 branch

* 2.3.0-alpha0 -> Aug 6th
* 2.3.0-rc0 -> Aug 20th
* 2.3.0 -> Sep 3rd
  * Stop maintaining stable-2.2 branch

* 2.4.0-alpha0 -> Oct 1st
* 2.4.0-rc0 -> Oct 15th
* 2.4.0 -> Oct 29th
  * Stop maintaining stable-2.3 branch

Obviously, if we need to get a 3.x we can obviously re-evaluate the
schedule, and also re-evaluate whether or not to maintain the 2.x
releases.

Ideas?

Best Regards,
--