[kata-dev] Proposed GitHub projects

Christophe de Dinechin dinechin at redhat.com
Tue May 11 16:56:10 UTC 2021

On 2021-05-11 at 18:49 CEST, Fabiano FidĂȘncio wrote...
> Christophe,
>
> On Tue, May 11, 2021 at 6:37 PM Christophe de Dinechin
> <dinechin at redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>

>> Following the discussions in the architecture committee meeting:
>>
>> - I removed the 1.11 project
>
> Thanks!
>

>> - I added a release 2.2 project, but did not populate it yet.
>>   Feel free to add features which you think belong to 2.2
>>   https://github.com/orgs/kata-containers/projects/26
>
> This is a good start.  Now, I think we (as a community) should agree
> on what we think we can target for 2.2.0.
> One question about this one ... do you prefer having it as 2.2 so we
> can re-use it for 2.2.0, 2.2.1, 2.2.2, ...?  Or would you prefer going
> for one board for each release (including patch releases)?
>

>> - I also added a Confidential Containers project.
>>   We discussed with Samuel about keeping track of what remains
>>   to be done, and I think this is one case where a "project" helps.
>>   https://github.com/orgs/kata-containers/projects/27
>
> This is super useful and I'd strongly recommend we do the same for
> every other "community use-cases" project.
>
>> - Finally, a tentatively named "What's going on" project, which
>>   at least in my view, would be the "hot stuff of the week", or a kind
>>   of "help wanted" board. This is the one where there is a lot of
>>   debate regarding whether it's useful or not, and how it should be
>>   organized.
>>   https://github.com/orgs/kata-containers/projects/25
>>
>> Let me know what you think.
>
> Cool!
>
> Thanks for taking the bullet and playing with the cards!
>
> Now, what do you see as the next steps from this?
> Shall we get together and, as part of the next backlog scrub meeting,
> do a formal planning for 2.2.0?  Or even a more generic question, how
> do you want to proceed in order to populate the first and the third
> board?

Here is how I see it, but that is just a personal view, not even a
recommendation:

- I would like to keep the "what is going on" as simple as possible.
  So what I would recommend is that we use it to put stuff we think is
  important. For example, if there is a CI failure, you can put the issue
  under "Urgent". If you have a review blocking a release, same thing.
  Conversely, if you want to help, you go there and you have a picture of
  how you can help. But I would try to keep that below ~10-20 cards.
  Then the herders / backlog scrubbers could populate this if it's a bit
  empty (which I am sure will happen all the time).

- For the 2.2 release, I think a possible approach would be to look at the
  issues we opened which we believe have good chances to happen soon. I plan
  to do that tomorrow for my own. Then we can spend a little time during the
  arch meeting debating the priorities, and possibly remove stuff that does
  not fit.

Again, just ideas.

> Best Regards,

Christophe de Dinechin (IRC c3d)