[kata-dev] This week in Kata

Whaley, Graham graham.whaley at intel.com
Fri Apr 26 16:39:01 UTC 2019

# Overview

Some of the world were on holiday early in the week, but plenty of stuff still happened in the world of Kata.
One way of getting a feel for progress on the code front is to have a look at the github PR merge history, which can be seen in one form or another by issuing a github query (in the GUI) formed somewhat like "org:kata-containers is:pr is:closed updated:2019-04-19..2019-04-26"
Which you can see by following this link:
https://github.com/search?q=org%3Akata-containers+is%3Apr+is%3Aclosed+updated%3A2019-04-19..2019-04-26

# What landed?

Apprx 54 PRs landed, depending on how you interpret the github data ;-)

We landed some PRs related to enabling 'experimental features' support (Kata release binaries will have experimental features built in, but disabled by default - you can enable them via the config file).

A PR related to the 'persistent data'  feature landed, which is a key moving forwards with seamless upgrades in the future.

There was a lot of work recently around making smoother (and less painful and resource hungry) releases, including a PR that improves the documents and scripts to help automate the release process.

We landed the agent trace PR - hooray! - which I believe completes our first round of enabling trace for Kata (working and useful), and enables us to move into the second phase (more interoperability).

We added a nice docs table covering which of our CI jobs covers which piece of functionality:
https://github.com/kata-containers/ci#ci-job-matrix

A slew of other fixes related to:
 - document cleanups
 - vm template/factory improvements
 - some distro fixups (RHEL, SUSE etc.)
 - testing with a new version of NEMU, based off Qemu 4.x
 - initial testing of integration/move to Qemu 4.x
 - some s390 additions (kernel configs, upload Jenkins job configs)

# Outside the repos

Salvador posted an excellent blog post this week covering some of our CI/CD infrastructure, and how we work closely with a lot of external partners and parties to bring that to fruition:
https://medium.com/kata-containers/kata-containers-testing-and-packaging-powered-by-the-cloud-b752de2ee471

There was also a nice post from Mikka about using hardware acceleration under k8s with Kata and RuntimeClass:
https://kubernetes.io/blog/2019/04/24/hardware-accelerated-ssl-tls-termination-in-ingress-controllers-using-kubernetes-device-plugins-and-runtimeclass/

# What's coming next week?

It is the OSF Denver PTG next week - there are a whole bunch of Kata developers there with some focused discussions and effort. You can see details and links off to the agenda items at https://medium.com/kata-containers/kata-containers-featured-at-open-infrastructure-summit-denver-april-2019-680c7bd3c1c6
If you are in the area or at the PTG, do come along!

Intel Corporation (UK) Limited
Registered No. 1134945 (England)
VAT No: 860 2173 47