[kata-dev] Branch name changes on kata-containers/kata-containers and kata-containers/tests repos

Fabiano Fidêncio fabiano at fidencio.org
Fri Jan 22 07:29:43 UTC 2021

Kata Folks,

On Thu, Jan 21, 2021 at 9:49 AM Fabiano Fidêncio <fabiano at fidencio.org> wrote:

> Kata Folks,
>
> During the last Architecture Committee meeting it's been decided that
> we'd do the following branch name changes:
> * kata-containers/kata-containers:
>   - "2.0-dev" will be renamed to "main";
>   - "stable-2.0.0" will be renamed to "stable-2.0"l
> * kata-containers/tests;
>   - "2.0-dev" will be renamed to "main";
>   - "stable-2.0.0" will be renamed to "stable-2.0"l
>
> In order to do such changes we'll have to avoid merging patches for a
> few hours, if not a whole day (in the worst case scenario), so we can
> get our CI working against the now renamed branches.
>
> We understand it'll cause disruptions not only for the time window
> where we won't merge any pull-request, but mainly for the fact that
> pull-requests previously opened against "2.0-dev" branches will have
> to be reopened, this time against "main", and we apologize in advance.
>
> Our original plan is to take Tomorrow (January 22nd, 2020) to do the
> switch. In case there are any concerns from any member of the
> community, please, let us know replying to this email.
>
> If we get no reply with concerns by Tomorrow we'll go ahead and
> proceed with the change.
>
> Best Regards,
> --
> Fabiano Fidêncio

Peng Tao and I started working on this less than one hours ago, we've
commented on all the PRs that will need to be re-opened against `main`
or `stable-2.0` about the disruption, we've added `do-not-merge` and
`needs-branch-adjustment` labels on them, and we'll comment on them
again once this switch is over. You also will receive another email
from me once we're done with the switch.

Sorry for the disruption and thanks for understanding the situation!
--
Fabiano Fidêncio