[kata-dev] Proposals to improve our porting activities

Hunt, James O james.o.hunt at intel.com
Fri Sep 11 15:55:27 UTC 2020

Hi All,

TL;DR - Read the table in [2].

# Porting process update

As nobody screamed too loudly, we're forging ahead with the plan to
improve our porting process. I've raised a bunch of PRs (one / repo) to
add a new GitHub action to enforce a set of porting labels which
**every** PR (yes, even yours!) needs to have set. Some of those PRs
have already landed so you may notice an extra check at the end of your
PR which will either have the dreaded red cross or the satisfying green
tick, depending on whether your PR has been labelled correctly ;)

I'm in the process of updating our documentation to exlain all this
[1], but there is already a summary table which should give you the
details you need on the tracking issue [2].

# Questions

- What if I don't know which labels to apply?

  Reading [3] might help to answer this. However, if you don't know,
someone else will so fear not - someone will apply the labels (they
have to, otherwise the PR cannot land!) If really stuck, just ask on
the PR for help - none of us bite!

- What if I can't see the labels on a PR?

  If you are not a member of the organisation or repo, you won't
actually be able to see the labels. That's a problem, but is just the
way GitHub works unfortunately. Again, one of the Kool Kats on the Kata
rota [4] will be happy to help by adding the requisite labels.

# Gotchas

- Take care with the "backport" and "forward-port" labels - they apply
to PRs that actually *implement* a backport or a forward port. All
other PRs should be marked with a needs-${porting_type}" or "no-
${porting_type}-needed" label to indicate whether an actual forward-
port and/or backport PR needs to be raised.

# What next?

As outlined on [5], the plan is to start automatically raising issues
in the "other" repo when PRs are raised. For example, if you raise a PR
in a 1.x repo, an issue will be automatically created in the 2.0 repo
once the PRs porting labels are set [6]. That issue can be labeled
automatically too. And that means we could potentially release-gate on
whether there are any open issues, say, with the "forward-port" label
but which do not have a corresponding merged PR in that repo.

Cheers,

James

---

[1] - https://github.com/kata-containers/community/issues/172
[2] - https://github.com/kata-containers/kata-containers/issues/634#issuecomment-688439361[3] -
https://github.com/kata-containers/community/wiki/Porting-PRs-between-Kata-1.x-and-Kata-2.0
[4] -
https://github.com/kata-containers/community/wiki/Review-Team-Rota
[5] - https://github.com/kata-containers/kata-containers/issues/634
[6] - This might end up raising suprious issues occasionally if folk
initially mis-label. I think we either live with that or only auto-
raise the issues at a quiet period (is there one any more? :)

---
https://katacontainers.io/ | https://github.com/kata-containers
Open Source Technology Center
Intel Corporation (UK) Ltd. - Co. Reg. #1134945 - Pipers Way, Swindon
SN3 1RJ.
Intel Corporation (UK) Limited
Registered No. 1134945 (England)
VAT No: 860 2173 47