[kata-dev] Elections for Kata Architecture Committee: Fabiano Fidêncio

Fabiano Fidêncio fabiano at fidencio.org
Wed Sep 9 19:14:16 UTC 2020

Name: Fabiano Fidêncio

Email: fabiano at fidencio.org

Background:

I am a Senior Software Engineer working for Red Hat's virtualization
team, a tattoo canvas for abstract art, a music addict, and a big fan
of old video games.

In the past 6 months I have been dedicating a big chunk of my time
contributing and helping to make the Kata Containers project solid
across different communities, such as Fedora, CentOS, and CRI-O,
supporting Kata Containers exposure and adoption in the enterprise
Linux world.

My involvement with Kata Containers has been quite intense in this
period, from providing simple patches, doing code reviews on pretty
much all components, fixing issues not only on Kata Containers but
also in the communities surrounding the project, to becoming a point
of contact for Fedora,
CentOS, and RHEL related issues, always focusing on what could benefit
the project and its community.

To keep improving Kata Containers adoption, I recently became the
CRI-O maintainer for the VM runtime type (used together with the "shim
v2") and I am and will be enforcing Kata Containers play well also
with one of the most widely used container runtimes in the Kubernetes
ecosystem.

My primary interest is to ensure that Kata Containers can be used in
enterprise Linux solutions, which can be achieved by improving
stability, debuggability, and out-of-the-box usage, everything done as
a symbiotic process with an organic growth. Enforcing this growth will
fundamentally benefit this community and the communities around this
one.

In order to make it possible, I plan to continue working in the
integration bits, while keeping connecting and facilitating the
communication between the Kata Containers community and the
communities that both Red Hat and I are part of.

The contributions I have participated in and I am the most proud to mention are:

* Out-of-the-box virtio-fs support on Fedora, and CentOS;
* Helping with the SELinux support on Kata Containers, CRI-O, and
container-selinux projects;
* Helping to educate & to onboard colleagues to the project, assisting
them so they can get up to speed to start contributing with different
pieces and also to become part of this community;
* Helping to lower the maintenance burden by dropping OBS package
builds in favor of kata-deploy usage (still in progress).

Fabiano Fidêncio (IRC / Slack: fidencio)

Best Regards,
--
Fabiano Fidêncio