[kata-dev] WIP/SoB checks

Samuel Ortiz sameo at linux.intel.com
Tue Jul 21 10:49:32 UTC 2020

Hi Thierry,

On Tue, Jul 21, 2020 at 12:14:46PM +0200, Thierry Carrez wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> The SoB/WIP checks are currently broken (since last Zuul restart last
> Friday), I'm waiting for the US to wake up to dive deeper into the cause and
> fix it... but I was wondering if we should not consider dropping the Zuul
> tenant, and just use some other GitHub integration instead.
>
> When PullApprove decided to change its ToS in 2019, we decided to
> reimplement the WIP and SoB checks using Zuul. The idea was to use it as a
> way for kata to experiment with Zuul and potentially move more of its
> testing in that direction.
>
> 18 months later, efforts to move more Kata testing toward Zuul seems to have
> been abandoned. Having a full Zuul tenant just to run things as basic as a
> WIP and SoB check is clearly overkill, and adds complexity / technical debt
> to the CI chain.
>
> Probot is open source and has DCO and WIP checks available. The main
> difference is that it only supports the word "WIP" (or "wip") being set in
> the PR title, and does not watch custom labels.... so you could no longer
> use a "do-not-merge" label for example. But otherwise we could migrate to it
> very quickly...

There are several github actions to check for custom labels and prevent
them from being merged. For example:
https://github.com/tim-actions/wip-check

Combining probot for DCO only and for example the above gh action for
custom labelled PR handling would allow us to not have to do it through
Zuul anymore.

> Thoughts? Do you plan to use more Zuul jobs in the future, and maintaining a
> Kata tenant there makes sense ? Or should we just simplify the setup ?

Simplify, as described above.

Cheers,
Samuel.