[kata-dev] WIP/SoB checks

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Tue Jul 21 10:14:46 UTC 2020

Hi everyone,

The SoB/WIP checks are currently broken (since last Zuul restart last
Friday), I'm waiting for the US to wake up to dive deeper into the cause
and fix it... but I was wondering if we should not consider dropping the
Zuul tenant, and just use some other GitHub integration instead.

When PullApprove decided to change its ToS in 2019, we decided to
reimplement the WIP and SoB checks using Zuul. The idea was to use it as
a way for kata to experiment with Zuul and potentially move more of its
testing in that direction.

18 months later, efforts to move more Kata testing toward Zuul seems to
have been abandoned. Having a full Zuul tenant just to run things as
basic as a WIP and SoB check is clearly overkill, and adds complexity /
technical debt to the CI chain.

Probot is open source and has DCO and WIP checks available. The main
difference is that it only supports the word "WIP" (or "wip") being set
in the PR title, and does not watch custom labels.... so you could no
longer use a "do-not-merge" label for example. But otherwise we could
migrate to it very quickly...

Thoughts? Do you plan to use more Zuul jobs in the future, and
maintaining a Kata tenant there makes sense ? Or should we just simplify
the setup ?

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)