[kata-dev] Issue backlog

Ariel Adam aadam at redhat.com
Sun Aug 9 07:59:27 UTC 2020

On Wed, Aug 5, 2020 at 4:02 PM Hunt, James O <james.o.hunt at intel.com> wrote:

>> easier to manage too.
>> >
>> > Do you think it's possible to also move the original issue to a "PR"
>> state?
>> >
>> > I'm not sure I follow what you mean here?
>>
>> Normally, we have a PR and the issue that the PR addresses.
>>
>> I understood your point 6 above as having a Kanban board specifically for
>> PRs.
>>
>> But I think it would be helpful if we found a way, when creating the PR,
>> to automatically move the issue(s) the PR addresses to some special "PR"
>> state. In JIRA, you can have multiple states in the same column, so you
>> could consider "PR" as a kind of "in progress" state. Or it could have its
>> own column.
>>

> Ah - I see what you mean. Yes, that would be useful. The simplest solution
> would be to have automation to move the issue from the "To do" column to
> the "In progress" column if the issue satisfies the "linked:pr" GitHub
> query. You can already do this dynamically to see a subset of the backlog
> by just typing "linked:pr" into the "filter cards" text box on [1], but
> making that the default view show these two separate categories of issue
> (those with an associated PR, and those without) visually may be best for
> clarity. Any thoughts on this Ariel?

I think that's a really good idea :-).
We could argue that an issue can be "in progress" without a PR associated
yet however for simplicity it makes sense that moving an issue from "to do"
to "in progress" would be triggered by an attached PR.
We could then simplify our "quick filters" (the searches using different
labels and fields) to split issues into buckets without constantly adding
PR yes/no.