[kata-dev] Issue backlog

Hunt, James O james.o.hunt at intel.com
Thu Aug 6 12:36:31 UTC 2020

Hi All,

# Testing some GitHub Actions

I tested the following GitHub actions which all claim to be able to assign
issues to projects. Here are the super-brief results:

- https://github.com/marketplace/actions/assign-to-one-project

  Result: FAIL
  Detail: Weird 'yq' command errors.

- https://github.com/marketplace/actions/github-project-automation

  Result: FAIL
  Detail: Doesn't understand the difference between the three different
GitHub project types. Crucially, it only seems to work with repo-level
projects, but our new issue backlog project [1] is an organisation-level
project.

- https://github.com/marketplace/actions/automate-projects

  Result: PASS
  Details: It works! ;-)
  Rationale: License is APACHE-2.0. It supports org-level GitHub projects.
Code looks simple and the config allows the clear specification of the
project and the project board column to add the issues to.

# Next steps

I've raised a PR [2] on the throttler repo to enable the "automate
projects" action [3]. Once that lands and we've tested that it DTRT [4],
I'll go ahead and raise similar PRs for all the other repos (1.x and 2.x).

# Review request

I've reviewed the licence and the code for [3], but I'd like others to do
the same please. Further details are on the PR [2].

Cheers,

James

[1] - https://github.com/orgs/kata-containers/projects/23
[2] - https://github.com/kata-containers/ksm-throttler/pull/158
[3] - https://github.com/marketplace/actions/automate-projects
[4] - I've already tested this with another GitHub organisation but let's
be cautious.