[kata-dev] how much does kata depend on kernel features?

Ilya Dmitrichenko errordeveloper at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 19:19:11 UTC 2020

I'd like to use kata to test applications on different kernels,
ideally I'd like to be able to import kernels from most modern
distributions and test on those kernels without any changes.

So far I've not been able to boot kata VMs successfully with
Ubuntu 18,04 and CentOS 8 kernels.

I have built a custom image and been able to boot that with
the original kata kernel from 1.11.0-alpha1.

My question is - should it be fundamentally possible to make
kata work with any kernel, or all of its functionality as a k8s
runtime is highly dependent on kernel it uses?

When I look at qemu flags, I see a lot of things going on,
that make me think there is a set of very specific features
that kata depends on, is that correct? Or can one reduce
this set of features to something more basic?

Also, if I am to use firecracker, would my options be any
different or worse actually?

Ilya