[kata-dev] Proposal to migrate to a Slack alternative

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Mon Mar 26 20:22:32 UTC 2018

Excerpts from Fox, Kevin M's message of 2018-03-26 19:23:32 +0000:
> It sounds like there are a lot of reasons to consider getting off slack. +1 for discussions around it.
>
> -1 for doing it too much *here*. The Kubernetes and OpenStack communities should be doing it as a whole. Shouldn't this be done at the openstack-dev list or the openstack-tc? and some equivalent at k8s?

The Kata group is not under TC governance and doesn't generally use
openstack-dev for its community discussions, so this list feels
like the appropriate place for the conversation to happen.

> If kata-containers does it in isolation, then the solution kata-containers comes up with very well could isolate it from the other communities based on the other communities choices. Lets work together.

I don't think that's really what is happening, is it?

The Kata group made the decision when they joined the OpenStack
Foundation to use Slack, which was different from what the existing
OpenStack teams under TC governance have done. It's up to that group
to reconsider (or not) that decision and choose another chat platform.

I would be interested to hear how the kubernetes and broader CNCF
community view the changes to Slack, and I do think it's appropriate
for the Kata folks to take that into consideration in their decision,
though I hope the comments about cost, features, and openness are
also considered.

Doug