[kata-dev] ARM CI status for Kata container

Kaly Xin Kaly.Xin at arm.com
Tue Jul 17 09:54:28 UTC 2018

Hi,

These days we are working on the ARM CI setting up for Kata container project.

For hardware, thanks for Hyper friends who applied for a ThunderX2 server on packet.net WorksOnArm project. And we plan to utilize this machine  as a Jenkins slave to be scheduled by Jenkins master with CI tasks on ARM.

For software preparation, we are going through the scripts under https://github.com/kata-containers/tests/tree/master/.ci  to setup the testing environment. We met some issues in environment setting up for ARM. We resolved the issues and the PR were merged. See https://github.com/kata-containers/tests/issues/472 for example. Currently, the environment setting up is successful.

Now we are going through the integration test cases under https://github.com/kata-containers/tests/tree/master/integration on our internal server. Unfortunately, most of the cases fail. We are trying to figure out what happens now.

We believe that it might not be a short term development to pass most of the test cases. It will lag the process a bit longer. The reasonable solution could be setting up the CI infrastructure on ARM first - just to add one ARM server as a Jenkins slave which can be scheduled by Jenkins master. And it can be configured to run a limited number of successful tasks as Jenkins jobs in initial stage. At this step, we need the help from the CI infrastructure team - at least, both the master and slave have to know the IP/hostname, slave has to know the plugin to be installed and the credential things, etc.

After the infrastructure is setting up, we could add more Jenkins jobs in. But that almost means different architecture could have different Jenkins job to test. To make the process happen, it's better to have some kind of mechanism (indicated by @Xu Wang<mailto:xu at hyper.sh> as "filter") to define and generate the set of Jenkins jobs running by different architectures. We have a proposal for this and will raise an issue to discuss it in community very soon.

We plan to have Zuul support as the further step after above is working.

Thanks
Kaly