[kata-dev] Kata snap releases are not being updated: Please migrate to an alternative installation method asap!

Hunt, James O james.o.hunt at intel.com
Fri May 5 16:57:11 UTC 2023

Hi All,

## TL;DR

If you are running the Kata Containers snap installation [1], please migrate as soon as possible to an alternative installation method [2]. The snap build is broken, and has been for some time it seems [3].

Version summary:

latest stable Kata release: 3.1.0 (https://github.com/kata-containers/kata-containers/releases/tag/3.1.0)
latest snap release: 2.4.2 (https://snapcraft.io/kata-containers)

## Details

The snap build is currently broken and seems to have been for some time, but we didn't get notification. This means that the newest snap build (version 2.4.2) is much older than the newest Kata stable release (version 3.1.0).

Since the snap build takes a lot of effort to maintain and debug when it does fail, and since we don't have enough resource to maintain it currently, it was agreed in the Architecture Committee meeting on Tuesday 2nd May that we will stop maintaining the Kata snap [4].

We've documented a plan for how we plan to do this on [3]. If you'd like to be involved (or indeed if you want to offer to pick up snap maintenance), please comment on the GitHub issue as soon as possible.

Cheers,

James

[1] - https://github.com/kata-containers/kata-containers/blob/main/docs/install/snap-installation-guide.md
[2] - https://github.com/kata-containers/kata-containers/tree/main/docs/install
[3] - https://github.com/kata-containers/kata-containers/issues/6769
[4] - https://etherpad.opendev.org/p/Kata_Containers_2023_Architecture_Committee_Mtgs

---
https://katacontainers.io | https://github.com/kata-containers
Open Source Technology Center | https://01.org
Intel Corporation (UK) Ltd. - Co. Reg. #1134945 - Pipers Way, Swindon SN3 1RJ.