[kata-dev] GSoC 2021: vhost-user-vsock application and Kata Containers integration

Harshavardhan Unnibhavi harshanavkis at gmail.com
Fri May 21 10:13:56 UTC 2021

Hi,

I am Harshavardhan Unnibhavi. I am one of QEMU's google summer of code
students for this year. I will be working with Fabiano FidĂȘncio and
Stefano Garzarella on developing a vhost-user-vsock application and
integrating it with Kata Container.

Kata Containers leverage virtio-vsock to create a communication
channel between the runtime in the host and the agent in the guest.
Since, Kata Containers focus on security moving this device emulation
into an external user space process is very attractive. Hence, in this
project, we aim to realize an application, written in rust, that will
leverage the vhost-user protocol to emulate the virtio-vsock device in
an external process. This application would then be integrated into
Kata Containers.

I am looking forward to working on this very cool project! I also look
forward to learning from and interacting with the kata community.

Best,
Harsha