[kata-dev] vPTG April 19th 2021, 14:00 - 17:00 UTC | Kata Containers "Office Hours"

Fabiano Fidêncio fabiano at fidencio.org
Mon Apr 19 19:36:02 UTC 2021

On Mon, Apr 19, 2021 at 9:58 AM Fabiano Fidêncio <fabiano at fidencio.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 18, 2021 at 10:39 PM Fabiano Fidêncio <fabiano at fidencio.org> wrote:
> >
> > Kata Community,
> >
> > On Thu, Mar 25, 2021 at 1:18 PM Fabiano Fidêncio <fabiano at fidencio.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > Kata Community,
> > >
> > > I, on behalf of Kata Containers, have registered for a 3 hours slot
> > > (from 14:00 to 17:00 UTC), on April 19th, a lovely Monday.
> > >
> > > Our current plan is to have this in the format of "Office Hours",
> > > where the community will be able to come to us, ask questions about
> > > the project, and we'll have free space to talk with the community,
> > > with potential users, with you! :-)
> > >
> > > Come with the mind open to learn about the project, come with the mind
> > > open to teach us about cool things you've been using and are currently
> > > working on!
> > >
> > > Here's a previous email sent about the topics & format of this
> > > encounter: http://lists.katacontainers.io/pipermail/kata-dev/2021-March/001761.html
> > >
> > > I sincerely hope to see you all around there!
> > > --
> > > Fabiano Fidêncio
> >

> > This is a reminder that our vPTG will happen this Monday, April 19th
> > 2021., from 14:00 to 17:00 UTC.
>
> And here's a Zoom link for our session:
> https://www.openstack.org/ptg/rooms/havana!
>
> Best Regards,
> --
> Fabiano Fidêncio

Folks,

We had a really nice 3 hours chat Today, where we had the presence of
well known members of the community and also some new faces to the
project.
During these three hours we approached several topics (although some
of those really superficially) like:
* the sourcery that you do on your production deployment;
* plans for observability;
* known issues about memory & cpu consumption;
* plans for the coming 2.1.0-rc0 and 2.1.0 releases;
* issues related to GPU passthrough, how to not regress once we have
those fixed;
* having a non-costly way to figure out the qemu capabilities on a
deployed system;
* documentation;
* better using & advertising kata-deploy;
* taking advantage of the sandboxed-containers operator;

As a result of those 3 hours, we've the following issues opened:
* docs: Ensure kata-deploy has the most visible instruction installaton
  * https://github.com/kata-containers/kata-containers/issues/1711
* kata-deploy: Generate a new image on every merged PR
  * https://github.com/kata-containers/kata-containers/issues/1710
* [RFC] Check QEMU capabilities
  * https://github.com/kata-containers/kata-containers/issues/1709
* kata-deploy: Add capability to install kata artifacts without
needing Docker or Kubernetes installed
  * https://github.com/kata-containers/kata-containers/issues/1708
* bpftrace inside kata containers?
  * https://github.com/kata-containers/kata-containers/issues/1707
* Align CI installation & configuration paths with kata-deploy ones
  * https://github.com/kata-containers/tests/issues/3432
* Consume kata-deploy as part of the kata-containers (kubernetes) CI
  * https://github.com/kata-containers/tests/issues/3428

Unfortunately, this was so good, but so good, that no group picture
was taken and I failed to keep up taking notes of what was being
discussed.

Thanks to everyone who took some time to participate, it's been the
*best* virtual event I've been part of, and I'm looking forward to an
in-person event in the future! :-)

Best Regards,
--
Fabiano Fidêncio