[kata-dev] FibreChannel or iSCSI in Kata?

Qian Cai caiqian at redhat.com
Fri Sep 18 15:07:35 UTC 2020

----- Original Message -----
> Hey team,
>

> Does anyone know if FibreChannel or iSCSI volumes would / do / should work
> with Kata?

The first thing is that we will need a proper OCP story for loading the kernel modules in kata because all of those need that. Also, I learnt that 5G customers seem care about sctp.

From: https://next.redhat.com/2020/03/24/deploying-a-full-service-5g-network-on-openshift/

"SCTP: Some 3GPP protocols rely on SCTP for the network transport layer. Related OpenAirInterface services therefore open SCTP sockets to be able to communicate. That meant we had to enable the Kubernetes SCTP feature gate and whitelist and load the Linux SCTP kernel module on worker nodes. Thanks to OpenShift and RHEL CoreOS, this is again a matter of creating a MachineConfig and using labels and selectors to apply this configuration to all worker nodes."

Right now, the way to load kernel modules in kata containers seems a bit hacky and inflexible compared the runc containers, i.e., need to modify the global kata config, rebuild the container bundle etc.