[kata-dev] network implementation simplification for Kata

Samuel Ortiz sameo at linux.intel.com
Wed Jun 12 07:07:27 UTC 2019

Hi Eric,

On Tue, Jun 11, 2019 at 07:57:14PM +0000, Ernst, Eric wrote:
> Hey cloudy-virt-buds –
>
> We have a long standing PR from Manohar Castelino in the runtime repo, [1], which removes the bridge networking model.
>
> In the bridge networking model, a bridge is created in the network namespace, and the veth is connected to the VM’s tap. This is the least performant and a bit more complex than necessary.  We recommend end-users utilize tc-filter (default) or macvtap.
>
> Zhang Wei brought up the concern of whether end-users could be using bridge today.  I hope they aren’t, but am now considering whether this should be a 2.0 candidate, and whether this should be considered a breaking change.

I don't consider this being a breaking change, but we need to define a
deprecation period for this kind of features. For example we declare it a
deprecated feature now, which means we'd officially (to be documented)
support it for 2 more release cycles.
Obviously this is something that could apply to any other feature we'd
like to deprecate.

Cheers,
Samuel.