[kata-dev] Kata project update 2019-01-14

Ernst, Eric eric.ernst at intel.com
Mon Jan 14 23:39:54 UTC 2019

Hey,

I’m hoping that as a project, we can start sending project updates on the ML on a regular basis (the last ones were posted on 3/11 and 4/6!).  With this in mind, I setup a quick rotation to help kick this off for the next few weeks, selecting current architecture committee members as initial volunteers.  Please check it out at [1], especially Jon, Wei, Xu and Samuel, whom I volunteered…

Last week there was a good amount of work on refactoring, cleanup, fixups, and (finally!) adding (optional) seccomp support in the guest!

Notable pull requests opened:

  *   Adding build support for Firecracker
  *   Kernel version bump
Notable pull requests merged:

  *   A few pull requests with code cleanup/refactoring from Samuel:
     *   Simplify the hypervisor interface (runtime #1010)
     *   Creation of a new internal types package (runtime #1096)
     *   Sandbox simplification (runtime #1012)
  *   Add (configurable) seccomp profile support in the guest (runtime #689)
  *   Handful of fixes / enhancements for containerd v2 shim

Activity:
-Utilizing the latest 1.5.0-rc2 release, a quick demonstration of multiple hypervisor support was created and posted at [2].
-Some members of the community had a follow-up meeting with various open-source groups at AWS, highlighting the current status of Firecracker support in the latest 1.5 release candidate.  See [3] for email thread with notes/summary, and find the recording at [5].
-Bergwolf release 1.4.2 release of Kata (stable updates)

Looking forward:
-we are expecting the 1.5 release on 1/23
-Architecture committee meeting moved from Monday mornings at 7am PDT to Tuesdays at 8am PDT.  Please feel free to add items to the agenda, [4]. Currently we have discussions on the Denver PTG, CI, CFPs and an overview of work for Kata + Cilium.

Thanks!
-Eric

[1] -  https://github.com/kata-containers/community/wiki/Weekly-Update-rotation
[2] - https://asciinema.org/a/219790