[kata-dev] Virtio-fs support for Kata - updates needed

Mahalingam, Ganesh ganesh.mahalingam at intel.com
Mon Apr 29 23:04:26 UTC 2019

Apologies for not getting back on this earlier but i have been trying to sort things out. This is the latest update and possibly the right order in which things will land.

The current virtio-fs release (v0.2)[1] is based off v4.19.0. There is a new branch that Vivek from RH is maintaining that is based off 5.1-rc5. Until that is made as a release off a long-term kernel release, I think it would be good to use one that is based off a long-term/stable release. I tried rebasing v0.2 release to 4.19.28 kernel release that is in use by Kata at this point and i was unable to get it working. With some more testing we have identified v4.19.15 as the kernel release from which virtio-fs is broken. I have reached out to Stefan and will work with Vivek, Stefan and the RH team to get a working release.

With the current state, I believe this would be a good way to move forward.

1. Work with RH team to get a virtio-fs release off v4.19.28 which can be merged into the tree.
2. Config fragments patch is being tested and worked now by Graham and a few of us. That will land as soon as it is ready.

Between 1 & 2, we can land them as and when they are ready. There should be little to no overlap between the two.

3. Have a virtio-fs release off 5.x long-term/stable release.
4. Move kata kernel to 5.x along with virtio-fs update.

> 4.	Testing:  see https://github.com/kata-containers/ci/issues/137
> <https://github.com/kata-containers/ci/issues/137>
>
> 	a.	Who is an appropriate owner here?

Salvador and I are working through this. You can list Salvador or both of us as contacts for this.