[Kata-hypervisor] Link to the Hypervisor Prototype

Samuel Ortiz samuel.ortiz at intel.com
Wed Jun 13 16:54:03 UTC 2018

On Wed, Jun 06, 2018 at 10:08:46PM +0200, Castelino, Manohar R wrote:
> Folks,
>
> Please find below the link to the initial prototype code that tries to reduce the number of emulated devices in QEMU that can still boot most cloud workloads.
> https://github.com/intel/nemu

Some updates on the project from our side:

The work we've done on reducing the 2.12 emulated devices number, code
size, features set and supported platforms, and that currently lives
in the NEMU master branch, has been very educative. We feel that the next
natural step is about defining and implementing a new x86 machine type,
based on a virtual platform rather than an actual chipset. This is
going to be a simplified, emulation free and virtual hardware based
machine type for running modern cloud and container workloads.
We believe that this new machine type will allow us to reduce even
further the number of devices that QEMU needs to support in order to run
this kind of workloads.

We will start by implementing this new machine type on top of an
upstream QEMU code base, as we hope that this could become upstream
acceptable material.
Then we will re-run our automatic code reduction tooling on top of a
QEMU code base that would only support this machine type and the ARM
virt one. This will become the new NEMU master branch.

We created a github issue with a few more details about this new machine
type for x86:
https://github.com/intel/nemu/issues/11

Cheers,
Samuel.
92196 Meudon Cedex, France
Registration Number:  302 456 199 R.C.S. NANTERRE
Capital: 4,572,000 Euros