[kata-dev] Elections for Kata Containers Architecture Committee: Eric Ernst

Eric Ernst eric.g.ernst at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 18:07:17 UTC 2021

---
Name: Eric Ernst
Email: eric_ernst at apple dot com

Background:

I am a software engineer at Apple, focused on cloud infrastructure, and I
continue to be very invested in this project and engaged in the Kata
community as a contributor.

Since the initial discussions of creating Kata started, I have been an
active contributor and advocate for the
project, both in code and in the greater Kata community/ecosystem. I am
running again as I am very interested in this project's success in the
ecosystem, and am very focused on making sure Kata continues to be a
stable, production-ready solution for providing stronger container
isolation.

Over the last couple of years, I have served as a member of the Kata
Containers architecture committee. As I stated last year, the project
has matured a lot, with expanding production usage and user-base. I think
there's a lot of exciting work for our primary use cases, still.

One area is improved integration with CRI/CNI/CSI/Kubelet. In particular,
the work around providing VM-friendly devices where feasible, and updating
the flow to provide sandbox details to the runtime to facilitate simpler
life cycle management. Similarly, we have plenty of work to improve our
performance efficiency, in both CPU utilization and memory footprint.

We also have new use cases that are now feasible with encrypted VM memory
becoming more widely available. This is exciting and requires very careful
thought for the architecture of our project (and our integration with the
rest of the stack) as we continue improving existing stable production use
cases while also enabling a totally new threat model.

We still have a lot of interesting work to do, and I look forward to
continuing to contribute to the success of Kata Containers!

--Eric