[kata-dev] govmm/Kata integration, revisited

Christophe de Dinechin cdupontd at redhat.com
Wed Sep 1 09:43:59 UTC 2021

[resend with cut quote, original was held in moderation for being > 40K]

> On 31 Aug 2021, at 12:31, David Gibson <kata-dev at gibson.dropbear.id.au> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Aug 31, 2021 at 09:23:04AM +0200, Fabiano Fidêncio wrote:
>> On Tue, Aug 31, 2021 at 5:16 AM David Gibson
>> <kata-dev at gibson.dropbear.id.au> wrote:

>> Then we will have an one not small patch removing the govmm vendor.
>
> So, I'd be happy enough with this approach if we could incrementally
> introduce the new interface then drop govmm once the new interface
> covers everything.
>
> Unfortunately, that doesn't really work, because govmm owns the qmp
> interface and the qemu command line, so we can't build a new interface
> "bottom up".

While we are at it, should we rename "govmm" to something that indicates
it's really specific to qemu? Or do we want to take the opposite route
(which was evoked yesterday) to move to VMM the "hypervisor" abstraction
that we have in Kata?