[kata-dev] error occurs when kernel is 4.19.110-300.el7.x86_64/centos7.7.1908

David Gibson kata-dev at gibson.dropbear.id.au
Sat Oct 23 05:12:55 UTC 2021

On Wed, Oct 20, 2021 at 07:46:41PM +0800, ylg wrote:
> Hi, all:
>
> if pod enables "securityContext: privileged: true", containerd faild
> to start kata.

"privileged" is ill-defined in the context of kata containers.  One of
the main uses of privileged containers is to manage things on the
host, which is fundamentally incompatible with Kata's approach of
running the container in a VM.

There are some edge cases where privileged kata containers are used,
but in general it's really not clear what permissions and abilities
such a container should have.

As a consequence, I'd recommend not attempting to use Kata for
privileged containers.

http://www.ozlabs.org/~dgibson