[kata-dev] [RFC]: Kata tracing proposals

Hunt, James O james.o.hunt at intel.com
Fri Jun 18 08:57:10 UTC 2021

Hi All,

TL;DR

Please review the tracing proposals document PR [1].

# Detail

Hot on the heels of the last tracing update [2], I've just raised a doc PR that summarises liubin's proposals for tracing with Kata [1].

In summary, the proposals simplify the planned architecture still further, but remove "dynamic tracing" from our plans (although this could be considered at a later date if the community deems it worthwhile).

# Feedback required

If you have an interest in tracing, _please_ review this document and comment. We're particularly keen to understand the answers to the questions listed on the PR above (do you care more about short-lived or long-running containers, etc). The answers will help us decide whether to proceed with the proposals.

# Architecture Committee discussion

I've added an agenda item for next weeks AC meeting [3] to discuss these proposals so you have a few days to review the doc before we discuss next Tuesday.

Cheers,

James

[1] - https://github.com/kata-containers/kata-containers/pull/2062
[2] - https://gist.github.com/jodh-intel/0ee54d41d2a803ba761e166136b42277
[3] - https://etherpad.opendev.org/p/Kata_Containers_2021_Architecture_Committee_Mtgs

---
https://katacontainers.io/ | https://github.com/kata-containers
Open Source Technology Center
Intel Corporation (UK) Ltd. - Co. Reg. #1134945 - Pipers Way, Swindon SN3 1RJ.