[kata-dev] Having govmm as part of virtcontainers

Marcel Apfelbaum mapfelba at redhat.com
Fri Jul 30 17:03:40 UTC 2021

Hi Fabiano,

On Wed, Jul 28, 2021 at 10:51 AM Fabiano FidĂȘncio <fabiano at fidencio.org>
wrote:

> Folks,
>
> David Gibson, in an internal conversation, raised Today the pain of
> trying to fix a QEMU + kata-containers issue, having to update govmm,
> get it reviewed & merged on the govmm side, and only then be able to
> proceed with the work on QEMU + kata-containers.   I can relate to
> that, I'm pretty sure other developers can relate to that as well.
>
> Considering that govmm is only used by kata-containers, wouldn't it be
> the case to have it as part of the virt-containers package rather than
> it's own project that we vendor?  I tend to see this as taking a step
> towards how we integrate cloud-hypervisor with kata-containers.
>
> What do people think about this?  Is this a move we can make as part
> of the 2.3 release cycle?  Or are there other users of govmm that we
> missed?
>
> Opinions, concerns, suggestions, all of those are super welcome.

We could keep the govmm project around, however I am trying to find the
purpose.
If there are no other govmm users or is not one of the KATA project
deliverables,
why the extra work? What is the added value of keeping govmm as an external
repository?

I had a look, I even wrote a simple patch, it looks like a collection of
"internal" APIs needed by KATA.

I would simply integrate it.

Thanks,
Marcel