[kata-dev] Having govmm as part of virtcontainers

Fabiano FidĂȘncio fabiano at fidencio.org
Wed Jul 28 08:09:21 UTC 2021

On Wed, Jul 28, 2021 at 10:00 AM Peng Tao <bergwolf at hyper.sh> wrote:

> On 2021/7/28 15:50, Fabiano FidĂȘncio wrote:
> > Folks,
> >
> > David Gibson, in an internal conversation, raised Today the pain of
> > trying to fix a QEMU + kata-containers issue, having to update govmm,
> > get it reviewed & merged on the govmm side, and only then be able to
> > proceed with the work on QEMU + kata-containers.   I can relate to
> > that, I'm pretty sure other developers can relate to that as well.
> >
> > Considering that govmm is only used by kata-containers, wouldn't it be
> > the case to have it as part of the virt-containers package rather than
> > it's own project that we vendor?
> This was raised before. The reason we still used a separate repo for
> govmm was for kata 1.x back then. Now that kata 1.x is officially EOL,
> I'd say we should just move govmm into virtcontainers.

Yay!

> >  I tend to see this as taking a step
> > towards how we integrate cloud-hypervisor with kata-containers.
> >
> Could you explain a bit on how it relates to cloud-hypervisor? Right now
> govmm only supports qemu. Do you plan to make it a generic vmm handling
> layer as it should be by its name? (Which I would love to see for sure!)

What I meant was, nowadays the cloud-hypervisor code we deal with is
under https://github.com/kata-containers/kata-containers/tree/main/src/runtime/virtcontainers/pkg/cloud-hypervisor,
firecracker also has its integration code as part of
https://github.com/kata-containers/kata-containers/tree/main/src/runtime/virtcontainers/pkg/firecracker.
With that in mind, govmm could actually be something like
https://github.com/kata-containers/kata-containers/tree/main/src/runtime/virtcontainers/pkg/qemu
(which doesn't exist yet).

Of course I'd like to have an abstraction that could actually handle
all the VMMs, but at this point I'm not sure whether it's possible, or
even worth it.
But that's something to be calmly evaluated and discussed, as future steps.

Did I answer your question, Tao?

Best Regards,
--
Fabiano FidĂȘncio