[kata-dev] Having govmm as part of virtcontainers

Peng Tao bergwolf at hyper.sh
Wed Jul 28 07:59:55 UTC 2021

On 2021/7/28 15:50, Fabiano FidĂȘncio wrote:
> Folks,
>
> David Gibson, in an internal conversation, raised Today the pain of
> trying to fix a QEMU + kata-containers issue, having to update govmm,
> get it reviewed & merged on the govmm side, and only then be able to
> proceed with the work on QEMU + kata-containers.   I can relate to
> that, I'm pretty sure other developers can relate to that as well.
>
> Considering that govmm is only used by kata-containers, wouldn't it be
> the case to have it as part of the virt-containers package rather than
> it's own project that we vendor?
This was raised before. The reason we still used a separate repo for
govmm was for kata 1.x back then. Now that kata 1.x is officially EOL,
I'd say we should just move govmm into virtcontainers.

>  I tend to see this as taking a step
> towards how we integrate cloud-hypervisor with kata-containers.

Could you explain a bit on how it relates to cloud-hypervisor? Right now
govmm only supports qemu. Do you plan to make it a generic vmm handling
layer as it should be by its name? (Which I would love to see for sure!)

Cheers,
Tao