[kata-dev] Having govmm as part of virtcontainers

Fabiano FidĂȘncio fabiano at fidencio.org
Wed Jul 28 07:50:32 UTC 2021

Folks,

David Gibson, in an internal conversation, raised Today the pain of
trying to fix a QEMU + kata-containers issue, having to update govmm,
get it reviewed & merged on the govmm side, and only then be able to
proceed with the work on QEMU + kata-containers.   I can relate to
that, I'm pretty sure other developers can relate to that as well.

Considering that govmm is only used by kata-containers, wouldn't it be
the case to have it as part of the virt-containers package rather than
it's own project that we vendor?  I tend to see this as taking a step
towards how we integrate cloud-hypervisor with kata-containers.

What do people think about this?  Is this a move we can make as part
of the 2.3 release cycle?  Or are there other users of govmm that we
missed?

Opinions, concerns, suggestions, all of those are super welcome.

Best Regards,
--
Fabiano FidĂȘncio