[kata-dev] govmm main branch

Fabiano FidĂȘncio fabiano at fidencio.org
Fri Jul 23 08:53:13 UTC 2021

On Thu, Jul 22, 2021 at 3:15 PM Montes, Julio <julio.montes at intel.com> wrote:

> Thanks Dan and Archana, right now we have both master and main in all
> repositories (i.e
> https://github.com/kata-containers/kata-containers/tree/master), so I
> wanted to have the same "template" in the govmm repository.
>
> my question is, should we get rid of the master branch?

I've raised this in the past and I sincerely think we should get rid of them.

The reason we have `master` on the tests repo, is because that's what
was used with 1.x.  Now 1.x reached its EOL and we can get rid of that
without much problems, but I'd recommend:
* Branching from master to something like `1.x-eol` branch.
* Remove the master branch then.

The reason we have `master` on the kata-containers repo, is because at
some point (before 2.x had an official release, and while 1.x was
still alive) we published releases on the `master` branch.
There we need to ensure this is not done anymore (and I sincerely
don't think it's) and then we can simply get rid of that, even without
snapshotting that branch.

Best Regards,
--
Fabiano FidĂȘncio