[kata-dev] The case to integrate the tests repository

Cameron Meadors cmeadors at redhat.com
Fri Jan 15 15:07:23 UTC 2021

David,

All the issues you have pointed out are definitely valid and need to be
resolved.  I think all t of these have been discussed in the ongoing effort
to improve Upstream CI.  The suggestion of merging the tests repo has been
brought up before with some debate.  I would like to point out that we also
have a CI repo that is separate as well that is also part of testing and CI.

The current approach to improvements are described in
https://docs.google.com/document/d/15YobCIUFMEvdNIGem0CJ_g30hJY4YH5Lr6ty7_8ASPY/edit
It takes the approach of trying to understand and clean up what currently
exists and solve he issues of test maintenance, debugging failures, and
local execution of CI tests.  I think all of these can be resolved to
various degrees without merging repos.  That is not an argument against the
idea but a preference to do what we can that is not dependent on where the
code/tests lives.

Your point 2 is the most compelling to me for merging repos,  Having tests
committed along with new features would be a great place be.  Currently I
don't see many tests being committed, unit, manual verification, or
automation.  Maybe I am missing them (can't review every PR).  I would like
to understand if the state of having separate test repos is a factor in not
getting more tests with code changes, or if the other issues are really the
cuplrit.  I suspect the later because I have seen 100% code coverage
through integration tests being committed separately along with code
changes when integration tests were in a separate repo (unit tests in repo
with code).

That's my two cents.  Thank you for reaffirming that the issues we
identified are still issues and that we really need to put more effort in
to resolve them.