[kata-dev] Thanks and some ideas to keep you amused in the holidays!

Hunt, James O james.o.hunt at intel.com
Thu Dec 23 09:55:34 UTC 2021

Hi All,

# Thanks

Thank you to everyone who has contributed to Kata Containers this year! Kata Containers wouldn't be what it is today without it's wonderful community!

Here are a few statistics from GitHub and Bitergia [1] to show how busy we've been this year:

- We opened 1,700+ issues.
- We raised 1,800+ PRs.
- We merged 1,500+ PRs.
- We created 20 releases.

# Want something to do in the holidays?

Wondering what you're going to do with all that free time you'll have in the holidays? Here are a few ideas...

## End of year review

Now is a good time to go through your assigned issues and PRs and review the remaining ones.

- Maybe some can be closed?
- Maybe you could handle some of them in a few minutes?

## Volunteer to help review issues and PRs

We are always looking for new reviewers. You **do not** need to be an expert in go, rust, shell code, container technologies, virtualisation, documentation, or testing.

What you _do_ need is:

- To agree to our Code of Conduct [2].
- To be interested to learn and help.
- To be comfortable asking awkward and "silly" questions.
  (These are the best type which help to "shake out" (often incorrect!)  assumptions. If something looks "wrong" / too complex / odd, question it!)

If you just want to help review issues, that's it! If you want to help review PRs too, we'd suggest you read the contributing guide first [3].

If you'd like to join our regular reviewers, see [4].

## Volunteer to help make releases

If you would like to help create new Kata Containers releases, we are looking for more volunteers. Please see [5].

## Take the survey

Please consider completing the newly updated Kata survey [6]. This provides valuable feedback to the project and helps us understand what users find important. It also shows us where we can improve, but we won't know unless you tell us!

## Help add terms to the glossary

Please consider helping out add terms to the project glossary [7]. It even helps us if you just add the _term_ without a definition!

## Areas of interest

Please take a moment to review the Areas of Interest document [8] and check that the details in there are correct for you. If you aren't listed, please consider adding yourself.

## Get involved

Want to get involved with Kata Containers but don't know where to start? Take a look at the issues we've labelled as "good first issues" [9].

You'll also want to have a look at the contributing guide [2]. Any problems, just ask [10] !

Christmas Cheers,

James

[1] - https://katacontainers.biterg.io
[2] - https://github.com/kata-containers/community/blob/main/CODE_OF_CONDUCT.md
[3] - https://github.com/kata-containers/community/blob/main/CONTRIBUTING.md
[4] - https://github.com/kata-containers/community/wiki/Review-Team-Rota
[5] - https://github.com/kata-containers/community/issues/242
[6] - https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/KataContainers
[7] - http://lists.katacontainers.io/pipermail/kata-dev/2021-December/002302.html
[8] - https://github.com/kata-containers/community/wiki/Areas-of-interest
[9] - https://github.com/issues?q=org%3Akata-containers+is%3Aopen+is%3Aissue+label%3Agood-first-issue+
[10] - https://github.com/kata-containers/community#join-us

---
https://katacontainers.io/ | https://github.com/kata-containers
Open Source Technology Center
Intel Corporation (UK) Ltd. - Co. Reg. #1134945 - Pipers Way, Swindon SN3 1RJ.