[kata-dev] govmm/Kata integration, revisited

David Gibson kata-dev at gibson.dropbear.id.au
Tue Aug 31 10:31:32 UTC 2021

On Tue, Aug 31, 2021 at 09:23:04AM +0200, Fabiano Fidêncio wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 31, 2021 at 5:16 AM David Gibson
> <kata-dev at gibson.dropbear.id.au> wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, Aug 30, 2021 at 01:24:20PM +0200, Fabiano Fidêncio wrote:
> > > David,

> > > Ok, thanks.
> > >
> > > My personal suggestion then would be:
> > > 1. Do not import govmm inside kata-containers, at all.
> > > 2. Write a thin layer with what you want to have from scratch.
> > > 3. Propose that.
> > > 4. Be cool if that's not accepted.
> > >
> > > I don't see this as a high priority effort, though, and I think that
> > > for the time being we could keep using govmm, as that has not been a
> > > blocker so far.
> >
> > This really seems like making things more difficult for no benefit.
> > govmm isn't pretty but it works now.  By forking and integrating we
> > can strip away the unnecessary bits and clean things up as and when we
> > have time / motivation.
>
> "when we have time / motivation" is the part that worries me the most, David.

That's not an unreasonable concern.  But what's really that bad about
having a half converted thing sitting in there for a while, as long as
it's better than what we have now?

In addition, there's a natural motivation to fix things further in the
integrated govmm code.  Basically every time we need to extend or fix
something in the ex-govmm code it's an opportunity to clean up that
code path.

> >  By insisting we create a new layer upfront we
> > force doing this as a big, difficult and disruptive mega-patch.
>
> Actually, the opposite.
> We force this to be as small and surgical as possible, because we're
> only including the parts that actually matter for us.

So, at least at a coarse level, we do actually use most of govmm.
It's not that govmm doesn't have code that's useful and/or neccessary
- it's just that there's no particular rationale for what sits on the
govmm side and what sits on the kata side.  I already made a
first-pass removal patch, which you've seen, and it's only able to
remove one or two functions and structures

More stuff can be removed is at a finer-grained level.  Options from
device configs that Kata doesn't need is the obvious one.  Further on
it's probably reasonable to start removing the govmm specific device
representations entirely, in favour of a more general properties map,
for example.  There doesn't seem to be much benefit to having an extra
data structure as an intermediate between the Kata structures and
qemu's representation.

> Then we will have an one not small patch removing the govmm vendor.

So, I'd be happy enough with this approach if we could incrementally
introduce the new interface then drop govmm once the new interface
covers everything.

Unfortunately, that doesn't really work, because govmm owns the qmp
interface and the qemu command line, so we can't build a new interface
"bottom up".

http://www.ozlabs.org/~dgibson