[kata-dev] Mentoring/ Internship Opportunties!

Kendall Nelson kennelson11 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 17 15:33:08 UTC 2021

Hello Everyone!

I recently presented this topic at the AC meeting today (Aug 17th) but I
wanted to make sure we have as much visibility as possible :) So!

There are two opportunities that are rapidly approaching for mentoring
students to work on Kata Containers.

Outreachy
- Would be one intern from December until March
- Next Steps- Get setup as a project in the program + propose a project for
the potential intern to work on
- Deadline to get project proposal submitted: September 3rd

Boston University
- Would be about 5 students working together from September till December
- Next Step- I will connect mentor(s) interested with the professor and
help you draft a project proposal for the students to work on
- Deadline to get draft project proposal submitted: September 2nd

Both opportunities would be great to get involved in! If you are interested
in mentoring but are scared about the time commitment, you can co mentor
with another, but in my experience it ranges from one to three hours a
week, where most of the time is spent reviewing the students/mentee's
patches.

These sorts of opportunities are really good for bringing new
contributors into the community. New contributors bring different
perspectives and new energy which is worth a lot, especially these days
when we all have been in a bit of a slump the last couple years with the
virus, etc.

If you are interested in one of these, please let me know ASAP! I am happy
to answer any questions I can and support Kata getting involved!

-Kendall Nelson (diablo_rojo)