[kata-dev] About merging the tests repo into the kata-containers one

Fabiano FidĂȘncio fabiano at fidencio.org
Mon Aug 16 12:43:46 UTC 2021

During the last architecture committee meeting (Aug 10th, 2021) this
topic was brought up again and it's driven by simplifying the current
workflow.

Archana & Eric raised some concerns about the amount of churn / commit
pollution in the kata-containers repository.

This discussion is not new, we've had it on
https://github.com/kata-containers/kata-containers/issues/187 and we
even agreed in one of the meetings that merging the repo would be the
way to go, although it'd generate a lot of work that no-one at that
point would be willing to take.

Regardless of what was discussed, we didn't get the input of people
who are majoritarily working on that repo, being Gabriela & Salvador
the main ones, and I know they may have some concerns about the topic.
So, Gabriela, Salvador, would you mind sharing the concerns?

One last thing from my side, while I'm in favour of doing the move,
I'd like to ensure we take the decision based on the right
motivations. Merging the repos will *not* solve the problems we have
on maintaining the stable branches and, for that, please take a look
at Gabriela's proposal
https://github.com/kata-containers/kata-containers/issues/2429

Please, share your opinions, concerns, and ideas.

Best Regards,
--
Fabiano FidĂȘncio