[kata-dev] recommendations for Mac developer environments?

Samuel Ortiz samuel.e.ortiz at protonmail.com
Mon Aug 2 05:27:55 UTC 2021

Hi Dan,

> On 30 Jul 2021, at 20:08, Middleton, Dan <dan.middleton at intel.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I’ve read through contributing.md[1] and the developer guide[2].
>
> It looks like the recommended path might be for me to setup a linux box and use a packaged install. I typically develop on my mac, though, and I'm wondering if there's some best practices / tricks for working within darwin?
>
> Also, I work on a variety of projects and there is often a way to encapsulate the dev environment for each using vagrant or docker so the system isn't exposed to dependency cross-contamination :)
> Has anyone worked out something like that for their Kata work?

I am also now developing on a Mac ;-)
Since you can’t run Kata natively on MacOS, you’re going to end up doing nested virt, either through Docker, Vagrant or a VM.
Based on this, I personally think it makes a lot more sense to run a full blown Linux VM and develop on top of it. I use Parallels and the parallels hypervisor (not the hvf one) and that seems to work fine for me.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.
Samuel.