[kata-dev] FYI: We're closing old Kata GitHub issues (< 2020-06-01 [ISO 8601 format])

Hunt, James O james.o.hunt at intel.com
Tue Apr 6 15:45:41 UTC 2021

Hi All,

# TL;DR

We're closing all open GitHub issues for Kata 1.x and 2.x that were created before 1st June 2020.

# Background

We have too many old open issues that are making it hard to identify the reallly important newer ones.

# Plan

Since a lot of those issues are now probably "stale", we intend to close all open GitHub issues opened before 1 June 2020.

# When?

This week some time.

# Why?

Closing these old issues will:

- Allow us to better manage the more recent issues

  We're in the process of categorising current issues with labels to allow us to manage the backlog more efficiently).

- Act as a forcing function for those who raised the issue

  The originator will get notified when the issue is closed, which will remind them of the issue and the problem. And if the issue is still important, they can re-open it with a single click.

# What is the impact of closing an issue?

Whether a GitHub issue is open or closed is simply a state field - you can open and close an issue as many times as you like: no information is going to be lost by changing the issue state to closed. By closing the old issues, we'll hopefully get the list of relevant open issues down to a more manageable number. And once labelled, will allow us to concentrate on fixing the issues rather than spending lots of time managing the issues themselves.

Of course, if an issue is closed, it's highly unlikely anyone will be working on resolving it, so...

# If one of your issues is closed

As mentioned above, if one of your issues is closed, please consider whether you are happy with this. If you think the issue should remain open, just click the "reopen" button and add a comment for us. It would be helpful if you could also mention whether the problem still exists with the latest 2.x version of Kata.

# Get involved

If you're interested in helping us manage the isue backlog, please get in contact [1], and maybe consider volunteering to help on the Kata rota [2].

Cheers,

James

[1] - https://github.com/kata-containers/community/blob/master/README.md#join-us
[2] - https://github.com/kata-containers/community/wiki/Review-Team-Rota

---
https://katacontainers.io/ | https://github.com/kata-containers
Open Source Technology Center
Intel Corporation (UK) Ltd. - Co. Reg. #1134945 - Pipers Way, Swindon SN3 1RJ.
Intel Corporation (UK) Limited
Registered No. 1134945 (England)
VAT No: 860 2173 47