[kata-dev] RFC: direct-assigned filesystem volume proposal

Stefan Hajnoczi stefanha at redhat.com
Thu Apr 1 14:58:50 UTC 2021

On Mon, Mar 29, 2021 at 04:49:31PM -0700, Eric Ernst wrote:
> I'd like to see if we can create a pattern in upstream Kata Containers to
> help facilitate directly assigning volumes to the VM via virtio-blk,
> skipping any mounts on the host, and avoiding needing to use a shared
> file-system for the particular volume. Some of the benefits in doing this:
>  - we can better isolate the host (no mounted filesystem),

It would be nice to make the mechanism extensible so other types of
volumes can be attached in the future.

It might be desirable to perform an NFS mount inside the sandbox VM
instead of on the host, for example. The downside is that the sandbox VM
needs access to the storage network, but the host kernel is no longer
involved.

Stefan