[kata-dev] Arch Committee Election: Q&A period open!

Shinde, Archana M archana.m.shinde at intel.com
Mon Sep 28 05:37:37 UTC 2020

Thanks Ricardo,

Eric and Fabiano have already talked about debuggability. I myself  consider this extremely crucial for wider adaptation of Kata among our customers. I have already had discussion around this with customers using Kata to identify the gaps we have today in Kata in terms of debuggability and understand what debug features they would find beneficial while running in production scenarios. Some of this includes adding audit functionalities in Kata, making sure logs are not lost with software crashes and logs are better managed in general. I have started work around improving our debug guides and would like to improve things further by providing a Kata image with all things required for better debugging built in. That way a customer could simply switch to an image with necessary debug/tracing features baked in. The tremendous work done by Ant financial folks has really added value to Kata from observability point of view, I would like to take that forward and see how we could use it for various debug scenarios.

That said, I have started looking at the shimv2 implementation for docker, and through this process I am planning to improve debuggabilty and tracing features for the shimv2 api in general.

Another aspect of crucial importance is our IO performance. I have spent some efforts measuring our virtiofs performance under various stress loads. I plan to continue those efforrts in co-ordination with other Kata folks to make sure our IO performance improves in the long run. I also plan to include tests that stress our IO performance as part of a CI to see how well our IO performs.

Lastly, I have worked in the past on the networking aspects of Kata to make sure Kata works with various CNI plugins and with ipv6 stacks. I wish to take this work forward to make sure Kata works well for NFV workloads by ensuring stronger support for network related features like CPU pinning and huge pages. I think this is an area where Kata could be extremely useful.

Thanks,

Archana