[kata-dev] Kata 2.0 and stable branches

Christophe de Dinechin cdupontd at redhat.com
Thu Oct 15 14:03:20 UTC 2020

> On 15 Oct 2020, at 12:39, Hunt, James O <james.o.hunt at intel.com> wrote:
>
> Hi All,
>
> # TL;DR
>
> Is this reasonable: https://github.com/kata-containers/kata-containers/blob/2.0-dev/docs/Upgrading.md#maintenance-warning ? Comment here or on [6].

In my opinion, this is perfectly non-committal, which is probably what you want at this stage.

The only minor wording change is that I would not use the same letter for 1.x and 2.x, i.e. write 1.x and 2.y, or 1.x and 2.0 as this is what we have.

> # Introduction
>
> For Kata 1.x, we maintain two stable branches [1]. We will soon be releasing Kata 2.0 [2], and at some point we will create a stable 2.x release.
>

> # Questions
>
> This raises a couple of questions:
>
> - How long will the 1.x stable branches be maintained?

Until the end of times plus one day?

More seriously, I believe that there are some aspects where we don't have feature parity yet, e.g. VFIO/SR-IOV. This will happen, but may take a bit more time.