[kata-dev] Notification: increase in Kata memory footprint in next release

Whaley, Graham graham.whaley at intel.com
Tue May 5 16:27:46 UTC 2020

Hello everybody,
 We discussed in todays regular Kata zoom call a recent change in the guest kernel configuration that increases security of the Kata kernel, but at a small cost to memory footprint size increase. The chance is the enabling of CONFIG_RANDOMIZE_BASE, which came with a kernel config fragment update at https://github.com/kata-containers/packaging/pull/1006
 Details of the security/size discussion can then be found on https://github.com/kata-containers/ci/issues/273.
 The bottom line decision came down to, in general, Security being a more important and key feature for Kata.
 We felt we should try to make this change clear to as much of the Kata community as we could. We will also try to highlight this change in our next release notes.

I'll not post specific byte numbers, as they vary across systems, architectures and specific deployments.
I will note that our specific CI size test, that looks at the size of the Kata components (and *not* the container/payload itself), we saw a 7-8% memory footprint increase. Obviously (or possibly not that obviously), the *overall* change to a real deployment would depend very much on the size and number workloads being deployed, and what percentage the Kata components actually account for in the system as a whole.

Graham

Intel Corporation (UK) Limited
Registered No. 1134945 (England)
VAT No: 860 2173 47