[kata-dev] VFIO groups in qemu SR-IOV passthrough

Adrian Moreno amorenoz at redhat.com
Tue Mar 17 18:07:29 UTC 2020

Hi,

I am playing with kata + qemu and SR-IOV passthrough and I have some questions
in order to understand it better.

If I add, say for example "/dev/vfio/40" to the kata container, I find the same
char device inside the container even though vfio might not even be loaded in
the guest kernel, so I wonder:

- Why is kata creating that device? I would expect kata to expose a virtual PCI
device (backed by the vfio device mentioned), but:
   - Wouldn't it be the guest's vfio driver (if any) the one to assign the iommu
group to the pci device?

- How is kata creating the device, i.e: what is listening on it?

Thanks for the help.

- Adrián