[kata-dev] [Discussion] Some questions to answer, for 2.0 development
xu at hyper.sh
Tue Mar 17 17:12:31 UTC 2020
We just discussed some questions about 2.0 in the AC meeting one hour ago and had some initial answers.
I post the Q&A here for further discussion and we'd like to make the decision in the next AC meeting.
- Q1: Is the next release is 2.0? or, say, if there is a 1.12.x release before 2.0? (working on 1.12 in parallel is ok for us)
- A: We prefer to develop 1.12 and 2.0 in parallel because we think cloud-hypervisor still needs some features to be done.
- Q2: (a) Do we want to support only rust-agent in 2.0? (b) Could we use ttRPC only (no gRPC any more) in 2.0?
- (because of rust tool-chain, we might have to disable some un-workable distros as rootfs temporarily
when we release 2.0, this is only about the osbuilder and users don't customize there own kata rootfs
will not be affected at all)
- A: Yes.
- Q3: Do we want to do the repo consolidation in 2.0 (in kata-containers repo)?
- (agent, runtime, shim... into single repo for the convenience of testing/dev)
- Q3x: Would that use submodules or straight consolidation?
- Ax: plan to be a straight consolidation
- A: Yes, we want, however, we may complete this in several releases.
- Q4: Should we promote shimv2 as default instead of cmd line?
- A: Yes, Samuel thought we should try to remove the legacy shim-v1 support.
- docker support v1 only right now, so does Podman
- we should work on moby shim-v2 support
- at least we think this is not a blocker for 2.0 release
- Q5: Should we promote cloud-hypervisor as default in 2.0?
- A: Yes, but we still have some ongoing works:
- cloud-hypervisor integration: https://github.com/orgs/kata-containers/projects/21
(ref the meeting notes: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/Kata_Containers_2020_Architecture_Committee_Mtgs)
Any more ideas?
Xu Wang (@gnawux)
Senior Staff Engineer at Ant Financial
A Member of Kata Containers Architecture Committee
More information about the kata-dev